These fill me up when I want a hearty breakfast on the go. Pair with some fresh fruit for a complete breakfast, no cartoon cereal mascots required.
Preheat oven to 400 F
Mix in a large measuring cup or bowl:
- 3/4 c non dairy milk (I used cashew) +
- 1 tsp ACV (apple cider vinegar)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp flax
Let that sit for about 5 minutes.
Mix in a separate bowl:
- 1/2 c white flour
- 1/2 c whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp spice* (see below for options)
- 1/4 c hemp protein
- 1/4 c hemp seed (hemp hearts)
Add to measuring cup or liquids bowl:
- 1/4 c maple syrup (real stuff)
- 1/4 c canola oil
Next add 1/2 cup of fill-ins* (see below for options)
Oil a 6 muffin tin
Stir until just mixed, then scoop using the 1/4 cup measure that’s already dirty evenly into the 6 muffin cups
Bake for 25 min at 400F
1/2 cup fill-ins such as:
- 1/4 c chopped almonds or nuts
- 1/4 c choco chips
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 c finely chopped apple
- 1/4 c grated carrot
- 1 tsp cinnamon or cardamom
- 1/4 cup zucchini
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- extra vanilla + pinch salt
- 1/4 cup banana
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1 tsp cardamom
Is there a flavour you’d like to see but aren’t sure how to go about it? Ask me in the comments!
Nutritional Info & Subs
For the nutritional info, I used the last variation. I used this calculator.
- You could use any plant based milk (not dairy because that’s for a baby cow, not for you, silly face).
- If you don’t have ground flax, chia would be ok but second best
- You could use entirely white flour if you are boring
- You could add up to another 1/4 cup hemp protein if doing one of the ‘wetter’ flavours and are interested in ultra high protein, this may affect the taste a bit.
- You could use agave for the maple syrup, or 1/4 cup brown sugar + 1 TBSP more liquid, such as non dairy milk.